MBYC YS Senior Instructor 2023
Feb 1, 2023: Applications for 2023 Summer Instructors Open
April 1, 2023: Applications are due on
June 10, 2023: Mandatory Instructor Training and Camp Prep Day
Join us for another great summer at MBYC Youth Sailing. The Instructor team consists of a Sailing Director, an Assistant Director, 8-10 Senior Instructors, 8-10 Junior Instructors and Volunteer Instructors. MBYC YS offers 10 week-long camps between mid-June to August. Instructors work with campers between the ages of 8 to 18 in Opti, Laser, V15, FJ and c420 camps. Friday afternoons are Open Sailing Sessions for all campers and Instructors rotate facilitating that program. We look forward to receiving your application and having you join us this summer.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Senior Instructors (SI) are required to work a minimum of 4 weeks of camp (6-8 weeks preferred) from 8:30 am - 4:15 pm, Monday to Friday
- Instructing 2 - 15 youth sailors per week of varying skill levels from complete beginner to experienced as assigned
- Give twice-daily lessons (chalk talks) to campers on sail theory
- Provide rigging and sailing instruction as well as sail camp duties
- Creating a lesson plan prior to each day with goals in mind for camper’s learning based on the camp and campers skill level
- The SI’s goal is to provide our program participants with a safe and fun learning experience at sailing camp
- Reporting to the Assistant Director (AD) each morning, communicating about plans for the day and goals
- Communicating with Youth Sail Director (SD) regularly if any questions or issues
- Reporting to the Youth Sail Director (SD) each afternoon during team meeting:
- Reflecting on how the day went and plans for the next day
- Promptly informing of anything that has been broken or needs to get fixed
- Manage a Junior Instructor (JI) or Volunteer Instructor (VI) if assigned
- Communicate clearly with JIs about plans for the day
- Inviting JIs into the conversation with planning lessons for the campers
- If the Junior Instructor is comfortable, provide opportunities for them to get experience leading a lesson, working with campers on the water, etc.
- Provide feedback if possible for JIs to improve
- You will be expected to work at least one after-camps Open Sail session on Friday afternoons from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
- There may be opportunities for overtime teaching 1 on 1 private lessons
- Sign and comply rules included within the MBYC Employee Handbook
- Any other responsibilities or duties assigned by the AD, SD or YS Chairs
- At least 17 years old by the first week camps in June
- US Sailing Level 1 Certification
- Safesport Certification
- Washington State Boater Card
- First Aid and CPR Certification
MUST be able to attend the Instructor Orientation on June 10, 2023 or include in your application why you are unable to attend.
Reports to: Assistant Director during camps and Sailing Director.
The MBYC Youth Sail Instructor Team will include the SD, AD and Senior Instructors. The SIs will report to the AD when the SD is not present. Should the AD be not present, an interim AD will be assigned. The SIs are responsible for supervising their assigned Junior and Volunteers Instructors for their respective camp week. A total of one to two Junior Instructors will support each program session. A Volunteer Instructor will support the camp they are assigned to.